June 05, 2020
RECIPE: Vegan Baked Ziti
- 1 lb pasta ziti or similar,
- 4 vegan Italian sausages, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large jar of marinara sauce 32 ounces
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups cashews or macadamia nuts soaked for 2-6 hours
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat a large pot of water (2 quarts of water) to a strong boil. Add a tablespoon of salt. Add the pasta and cook at a rolling boil, uncovered until the pasta is al dente—edible but still a little firm to the bite.
- Drain the pasta through a colander. Toss with a little olive oil so the pasta does not stick together while you make the sauce.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Constantly stirring cook until onions are transparent. Add mushrooms and sausage. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Cook 1 minute, then add the tomato sauce and stir well. Bring it to a simmer. Add salt and pepper.
- To make cheese in the blender add nuts, ¾ cup filtered water, 1 ½ teaspoon of salt or to taste, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Blend until very smooth, set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole pan, then add ½ cup cheese on top. Add a spoonful of sauce into the pasta, stir it well and then add the pasta into the casserole.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the pasta, add the remaining cheese over the pasta.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Then broil for 2 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving